Sunday, March 23, 2008

EASTER MORNING

Yesterday was an awesome day! For not sleeping a single wink on Friday night after her amputation surgery, Molly was wide awake, alert and happy. She smiled and laughed and talked a lot all day yesterday. Her pain was kept under control all day, outside of her dressing change when they had to increase the pain meds and "dope" her up a little, she was truly herself. And "dope" may not be the correct medical term but it fits. One of her nurses told me that they know they patient is under the right amount of sedation when they "see" things that are not there and "say" outlandish things OR they scratch their nose a lot. It all wears off prtty quick and the patient remembers very little if anything about what could be a painful, aweful procedure. Molly had all three and was beginning to be aware that she wasn't making a lot of sense as it was wearing off, as she would say something, and then look at me and say "that's not right, is it?" I would shake my head 'no' and she would just smile and laugh a little, as to say "Oh well." It was great for Molly and her dad to visit yesterday. It was good for both of them. In fact Raymond said he wanted to stay an extra night, so they will be able to visit and see each other today on Easter as well. Really a spirit lifter for Molly, her dad and me to see them both happy and smiling. As far as progress yesterday, I have to say the number of cards we were able to get through and read. The number of cards she has been receiving borderlines the "ridiculous", but it is often to see the eternal card-giver to recieve so many cards, even from folks we do not know. I do not the the exact number, but the stack of "unread" cards was about 8" to 10" tall. We reduced it down to less than 3" tall. It took a couple of hours last night to read and open them all, but it was wonderful to see, and read all the wonderful prayers and thoughts from all over the world come pouring in to support Molly & I. In addition, I tell her about the number of comments on this Blog, and some specifics about them. The blog and comments will be wonderful for her to sit down and read when she is able to get out of bed and sit at a computer screen, which should be within a few days, at least for a little bit each day. Medically, yesterday was a slower paced day, they continued the CVVH (slower, continuous, mild dialysis), did a dressing change and gave her 3 popsicles. She is tolerating the dialysis well, doesn't remember much of the dressing change and thought the popsicles were, and I quote, "AWESOME!" Today, Easter, should be more of the same. A day to rest, relax, visit and be thankful. To start, here is a short list of everyone that comes to my immediate thought that I want to thank God for placing in our lives these past few weeks:
  • Dr. Lynne Hawley
  • Barb from Wayne's ER
  • Holly, Jeannie, Amanda, Cheryl, Sue and the entire Good Sam ICU staff
  • Dr's, Quadri & Malik at Good Sam
  • Troy Emerick
  • My Mom & Dad and My second parents, Peg & Keith (Troy's mom & dad)
  • Michelle for staying at the house and taking care of the cat & dog
  • University of Michigan (I know, I can't believe it either, God certainly does work in mysterious ways)
  • Dr's Napolitano & Wang
  • All the residents, fellows, and interns in the SICU & TBC at U of M
  • Becca, Tara, Erica, John, Jerry, and Mike, the RN's in the SICU
  • Jay, Laurie, Leo, Tammie and Kate, the RN's in the Trauma & Burn Center
  • The countless of prayer warriors all over the world

SPECIFIC PRAYER AREAS

  • Complete healing of Molly's stumps
  • Kidney function to return (soon if possible)
  • Overall skin condition and healing
  • Hands, left - finger and thumb amputation to go well sometime this week and Right - for swelling to reduce and function to continue to get better.
  • Eyes - still a little blurry, but getting better
  • Vital signs - they are great, but have to battle with her heart rate and blood pressure from time to time
  • Heart - while the doc's do not feel there is any damage, this has come to be a little concern as her heart rate get elevated, BP drops, and an EKG showed some little "blips"
  • Voice & Throat - Still pretty whispery and not able to eat or drink to much until they are sure she will not choke. This will also allow them to remove the feeding tube and suction tube from her nose.
  • Mind and mental health - while her spirits have been great the last few days, we all need to be prepared to support and pray for her when the "down" days hit.
  • Me - I have been great, lacking a little sleep from time to time, but I know the "down" days will hit me as well, so keep me in your prayers as well.
  • Travel safety - The requests are pouring in from family and friends to come visit. This is great, just ask everyone to pray for all the road warriors willing to brave the trek to Ann Arbor to keep them safe.

Have a blessed Easter & GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Love,

Jamey & Molly

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey--Happy Easter!

May this day continue to bring you sunshine and healing. It is wonderful to have your families with you to celebrate this very special day. You both continue to be in the hearts and on the minds of so many friends. Even going to the grocery store finds many of us talking about you both and Jamey's blog to keep us all posted. I'm sure you have no idea how many people click on this every day to see how you are doing. It's a wonderful tool and we thank you for taking the time to share Molly's steps on the road to recovery and coming home!

Hugs to you both,
Gretchen

zachyb24 said...

Molly and Jamey and Family,

Happy EASTER.. Is this the best Easter ever for we have a lot to be so happy for and rejoice for..
HE IS ALIVE!!!!!!!! PRAISE GOD SO IS OUR MOLLY....
Molly I can't wait to see you run through those school doors. I just can't wait to hug you.. I am so glad that your dad got to come. I knew once he got there he would be happy to see you ..
When our CHOIR sings today I will be singing extra for you in rejoicing that You are with us and such a blessing..
Hope you all have a wonderful EASTER ..
Love,
Michelle, Zach , Dan , Sonja.

Shane said...

Molly and Jamey,
My mom has been keeping me posted on Molly's progress. I just wanted you both to know that You are in my thoughts and pryers everyday and I know God is with you during this time. Stay strong and I hope the best for you both.
Shane9in California)

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamie-
Happy Easter! This is the day that the Lord has made, let us be glad and rejoice. Praise God for all the miracle that are happening with and through both of you. You both have powerfully impacted the faith of hundreds of people. May our dear Lord continue to bless you and your families with His abundant love, compassion, and healing powers. Molly, I can hear your laughter as I read Jamie's Easter message.
God bless,
Tina Watts

Sandy said...

HAPPY EASTER to each of you. So much to be thankful for. Relax and enjoy your visit with your families today.
Hugs,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Molly & Jamey,
Just wanted to wish you guys a Happy Easter. It is a beautiful sunny morning, one that makes you realize what a glorious God we serve. I am so thankful for the progress that Molly is making. I know that God is working in all of this. I honestly think that I get more blessed each day reading the progress report on Molly and then all the comments that are posted. I read the update the other day at school during study hall. I just sat there with tears streaming down my face. And, in the meantime, a student walked to my desk to ask me a question, she took one look at me and thought I had lost my mind (nothing new) so she slowly backed away. I have students who ask about you everyday and some are checking your progress on the internet for themselves.

Jamey, I am glad to see your sense of humor in your messages. It lets me know that you are hanging in there. It is nice to chuckle with all the tears when I read your updates.

We are keeping you both, Uncle Steve, Aunt Nina, and Raymond in our prayers.
Love ya,
Gwen and family

Anonymous said...

Jamey and Molly,

Happy Easter!!!! I hope you are both resting and getting in some quality family time. Me, Angela Baltes and Rhonda Bunger can't wait to come see you when you are up for it. The both of you are just incredible and your laughter is contagious. My Family and Friends are praying for you always!!

Sending you love and light,
Sheri (Bettinger) Bryant

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey,

Just one more note! I am computer illiterate! I have sent you both messages for days and the one on Easter finally goes through!!!! Anyways I got a little excited, I will let you enjoy the rest of your day.

Sending you love and light,

Sheri (Bettinger) Bryant

zachyb24 said...

Aunt Molly,
Guess what? The Easter Bunny found me at your house. Guess who likes playing with my toys?? RASCAL.. He hide some of my things but we found them.
I Love you and I am praying for you..
Love,
Zach

HumbleOpinion said...

Dear Molly & Jamey:

First of all, Happy Easter to you both.

It sounds as if the worst is over and that you are now in the recuperative stages. No doubt, you will both need just as many prayers during the next few weeks - I don't think there is a shortage of people out there praying for you, though.

Molly, as the weather begins to get nicer and the school year is winding down, I suspect the lunchroom will get "more active". I may need to borrow your whistle at some point! Keep it handy!

My best to you and your families on this Easter Sunday.

Jennifer

Barbara Marker said...

It is wonderful to hear how much God continues to work in this process. We ask that the prayers continue to be answered and that Molly keeps improving daily.
I shared your story with my parents in Ky. and the people at Pt. Pleasant church are praying for you as well. The blog has been shared with people in southern Indiana, and Tennessee as well.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you both as well as your families and friends.
Happy Easter. Let this time of rebirth continue to be abundant with blessings. Barbara

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey
I am so glad that you have turned the corner. When I read the blog that you are going to be running with Troy I believe it. Remember God has a plan for you . You are an amazing couple. Can't wait to see you.

Happy Easter.

Jana

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. French

Happy Easter Mrs. French!!!!

I pray for you everyday and can't wait to see you again.

I am sooo excited that you are getting better.

I know you are "doing your best"

I love you Mrs. French!

Love,
Mariah
Mrs.French's Fantastic First Grader

Mary-Jo said...

I just wanted to say Happy Easter... we have been praying for you today.

Love,
Mary-Jo

Bev said...

Jamey & Molly -

What a long road you have been on - my goodness, I sit in amazement at what I read. What wonderful witnesses you are for our Lord and Savior as you face so many heartaches and decisions daily. I continue to pray for all of you - as the prayer warriors at my church do -- may you continue to feel the love and care of our Heavenly Father.

Bev
Grand Lake TM

Anonymous said...

Jamey & Molly,

Hi Jamey, it's your Toastmaster friend, Brian Harris.

Earlier this week I found out all about this. As I read the entire "summarized" blog, I sit here wiping tears from my eyes, realizing that I don't even know Molly. But I know Jamey, and I am deeply saddened by this.

Molly, I can tell from what Jamey writes about you, that you are so very strong. Don't ever give up that strength and I look forward to visiting you both when you make it back to Dayton.

Prayers from the Harris family.

Brian Harris

Unknown said...

There are continual prayers from our household for all of you. I often hear people in the community 'talking about Molly and her family' - all positive and uplifting. Thank you for doing this blog - to keep those informed of the miraculous health care procedures and continued healing. Lots of big brethren bear hugs to both of you! (Jamey, you can explain and demonstrate the Woodland Altars hugs....)
_\m/ Rosie

Brenda and Larry Miller said...

Molly and Jamey
So Glad that God granted you a good day. Great that Molly's Dad could be there to enjoy the better day also.
We have heard about Molly through Mindy Kolb and Krista Stump. Our Church has been praying for the specific you have ask and will continue to do so. We know that the Bible tells us that our Trials only make us stronger.
Friends from Ohio
Brenda Miller

Anonymous said...

Molly, You are still in our prayers every day. We hope that you continue to keep your faith. The kids send their love and I'm sure another card will be coming your way, they ask about you every day. Keep rolling your eyes at Jamey!!! We love you, The Schaar's

Toni Henninger said...

Dear Molly and Jamey,

Praise God for your faith and your wonderful sense of His presence in all of this. Molly, you are such a wonder!! I know when you get back to school, you will make such an impression on all those kids lucky enough to get you! jamey, we continue to keep you in our prayers to. What a rock!!! You might have to be renamed Peter! Your comments are so inspiring as you always refer to this as your journey together. Unfortunately, I have seen to many tims it doesn't work that way. The boys and Rachel pray daily and look forward to updates. Keep strong. I know that's easy to say from here. God answers prayers, and there are certainly a bunch going up! Thank you , Thank you for taking the time to update and to Jim Hill for setting this up!

Brad, Toni, Rachel, Liam and Zach Henninger

Anonymous said...

Molly, you may not remember me but I know you from the old Rec Center. I heard about what you are going through and wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Get well soon! :)
Mandy (Carrington) Swisher