Saturday, March 22, 2008

SATURDAY MORNING - AFTER SURGERY

Good Morning, Molly's surgery went very very well. First and foremost, Molly's Dad & my Mom & Dad were able to make it in plenty of time before she left for surgery. We had prayer with Tommy the chaplain, and then again right prior to her going to surgery with everyone including Troy & Theresa and even the anesthesiologists and the techs. The main anesthesiologist said when we asked them to wait a minute while we prayed, "I pray with you", then Troy said we join hands when we pray and he said, "Great, thats the way we do it in our church." Molly was at peace and conformtable when she left for the OR. Dr. Wang was pleased with the results and was able to go a little lower on both legs than he thought he initially thought he could. Also, much of the muscle that he was unsure he could use to wrap the ends of the stumps with, he could use and feels really good about how well they will do. The surgery took about 31/2 hours as expected, however she did not go to surgery until around 6:30 pm. After we spoke to Dr. Wang, Molly's blood pressure dropped in recovery and her electrolytes got out of wack, so she was in recovery for a very long time. It was after midnight until she got back to her room. The worst part of all this is that in recovery their focus was on the BP, and did not want to give her anything to strong to help with the pain so she was in a lot of pain during recovery. When she finally got back to her room, her pain was on a definite 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Jay, her nurse for the last two nights was awesome, he started working on her pain immediately and in about 30 minutes had it starting to feel a little better. within 2 hours it was very manageable and was able to maintain a constant 5-6 all night. I stayed in Molly's room last night and helped with changing her bed sheets and repositioning her. They also decided to restart the CVVH (continuous, mild form of dialysis) to get her fluids and electrolytes back in shape, and did not want to do regular Hemo as they weren't sure she would tolerate it well right after surgery. This was awesome to watch because the machine is very contrary and basically the whole TBC (trauma, burn center) team worked to get it up and running since no one from the dialysis department was available until later this morning. They got it running, but when they hooked it up, Molly's BP took a nose dive, so they rushed around getting it back where it needed to be, discontinued the CVVH and will start it again this morning. This has been a regular pattern since all this illness started, her BP drops significantly everytime they do anything with her. It is do to her being so ill, her body can not compensate for the fluid changes very well. However, I think this is something that is just Molly to a certain extent, in that I am sure the illness has made her more susceptible to quick fluctuations in BP, but when she is just ill at home she gets very light headed very quickly and has to lie down before she faints. Anyway, she is doing great, alert and awake with her pain managed pretty well. She and I have been up all night, so I am sure she will be sleeping quite a bit today, I know I will be. The game plan for the weekend is just regular dressing changes, CVVH, Occupational Therapy to re-evaluate her voice and swallowing to see how soon she can get off the tube feeds and eating and drinking on her own. Once those tubes are gone she will only have the arterial lines in for her dialysis, and one IV for her antibiotic and one for her pain meds. All the rest of the bags, pumps, tubes, machines, etc are gone. she is even off the nasal canula oxygen, she is just breathing room air and her oxygenation is great. Game plan for the upcoming week and weeks. Start getting a little Physical Therapy in bed to strengthen and tone upper body. Skin graft for stumps, and upper thigh on left leg. Continue skin care for other areas affected by the blood clots, which are already looking good. Surgery for her left thumb and index finger (she will loosing them as well). Then after about 2 weeks of wound, graft and skin care, she will be ready for some intense rehab. then a few weeks after that and her stumps are healed and not swollen, we will need to locate a prosthetist, a person who specializes in fitting prosthetics. Then it will be learning how to use them. Molly told me before surgery that she already has a goal. Of course due to her voice I thought she said she was cold and I started covering her up. She said NO, G - O - A - L! I said, OH, I get it, what? Troy is a runner and she said she is going to run with Troy sometime. I said that is a great GOAL, and I will help you get to that point so Theresa (Troy's wife) and I can sit on the porch and watch you guys run! On a serious note, when she said that, I had no doubts whatsoever that she and I will get through this just fine. SPECIFIC PRAYER NEEDS
  • Complete healing of her stumps and other wounds with no infections
  • Grafting to go well and to take
  • Continued healing of her kidneys, lungs, skin, liver, eyes and throat
  • Strength and perserverence to participate in therapy
  • Mental health, the doctors indicated that she will go through post-traumatic stress syndrome, so prayers to help her through this when it comes.
  • Raymond (her dad), it was good for Molly to see him and him to see her, but it was hard on him, and was a very very long day for him including the fact he is not usually a good "traveler" long distances. He did great and is doing great, but prayers for him. He is used to seeing Molly 2-3 times a week and talks with her almost everyday. Until he saw her yesterday, it had been over 3 weeks since he saw or spoke to her. The long times between visits will be hard on him.
  • Molly & I's families and friends as they travel to and from Ann Arbor over the next several weeks to visit.

God Is Good, and continues to answer prayers in Molly & I's lives. Keep Praying and Pray Hard!

35 comments:

zachyb24 said...

Molly & Jamey,

PRAISE GOD , PRAISE GOD!!!
God is moving in ways we don;t always understand but it stands true that HE IS AN AWESOME GOD!!!!!!
Molly is a real trooper. She has been through so much in 3 weeks that none of us can begin to understand. We do understand the power of healing. God is healing her body in ways we don't understand but it is going to be used for His GLORY.
FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD. HE GAVE HIS ONE AND ONLY SON.. SO, That Molly could have life, healing , comfort and LOVE through HIM...
WE LOVE YOU MOLLY,
WE will help you through all this. You are loved so much. It is all so warm to know how many people care for you.
Love,
Michelle and Zach

Unknown said...

God is good all the time and all the time God is good. Jamie you are such a fine young man. But please take care of yourself too. Now that Molly is on the road to recovery, you need to get some rest. God has brought a world to its knees to pray and prayers are being answered we have Molly. She is going to beat this, and I and I'm sure everyone else will continue to read the blog and pray hard for a healing for the rest of her body now. Praise God whom all blessings flow CarolHuntington and Family

debby said...

Moly & Jamey,

You guys are so special. Only our Molly would be setting goals to run as she faces surgery. I am so humbled by both of your spirits and tenacity. I have no doubt in the world hat Troy and Molly will have that run.

I continue to pray for all. Molly - I will be there soon for a hug. Love you guys!

Debby, Adam, Jordan, and Alec

Teresa said...

Dear Molly and Jamey
Thank you Jamey for updating the Blog so early this morning -you must have known there were many of us waiting anxiously, nervously to find out how the surgery went.
As of right now - Fran, Pat and I are planning to come on Monday - we realize we may only get to see her for a couple of minutes - if at all - but we want her to know that she has many friends to support her - as well as you and her family.
Tell Molly I have a few goals for her too.... tell her we'll have a "Goal Setting Conference" when I get there - just like we used to when she worked for me!! LOL.
I am certain none of us can imagine all you have been through- but I think the fact - that all this happened on Good Friday - is very significant to all of us - Molly's greatest gift is to teach - and I believe God is using her to teach all of us - the meaning of life, love and faith.
My heart goes out to both of you.
Love, Teresa

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey

Keep up the strength.You both are awesome.I am with Theresa I will be watching you run from the porch!!!!!!!!!!! I believe whole heartdly you will do it Molly.My thoughts are with you both and both families.

GOD BLESS
ANGELA FOGT

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey,

So happy to hear the surgery went well and that you were able to spend time with you dad before it. When we heard of your surgery yesterday Tammie Presnall and I were sharing our feelings and concerns for you but we also talked of the ability to run with the prosthesis and then to hear of your goal, Molly, you are something! I know we will all look forward to the day when you are running through the halls of Woodland(OOPS-we can't run but we will make a BIG exception especially running out to get Mrs. Skiles' apple dumplings!) May each day become brighter for you. We are so thankful for Jamey providing us with your updates. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers.
With caring thoughts,
Alice

Anonymous said...

Bless you both and your families as you walk through each day. Thank you for the frequent updates, as we are praying and wondering. It was encouraging to hear Molly's goal, as I have been thinking that she will be able to run right past the rest of us when the healing and rehab are behind her! Get the rest that you need when able. We hope you can feel our love and concern. Love to you both!
Brenda Johnson

Anonymous said...

Jamie and Molly-Your faith in God our Great Healer has strengthened my faith. Both of you are bringing so many people closer to God.
All of you were in my prayers all day yesterday. I knew there was a reason God called me to church last evening. All my prayers were offered for you.
Molly-This is Tina Watts. Teresa called me immediately upon finding out about your condition. I have notified others in the school district that know you. Intense prayers will continue to go up for all of you.
God bless all of you abundantly,
Tina

Tammy Smith said...

Molly and Jamey,
And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well...we will keep praying this. I have been praying for Raymond, as well. Molly, I know you will reach your GOAL quicker than anyone else would. That's just YOU!
Love you lots!!!
Tammy

Unknown said...

Dear Molly and Jamey
"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go for to you I lift up my soul." Psalms 143:8

This was my morning devotional verse and I just knew I had to share it with you two. God bless you Molly and know that you are held in the palm of His hand. We love you and keep you in our thoughts constantly.

He is risen!!
Nancy and Curt DeNise

Maggie C. said...

Dear Molly and Jamey,
Praise God for the healing He has helped with so far !!! We are all so pleased that things went almost better than planned. Molly, Danesa Borgerding(ParaPro) wanted me to tell you both how much she is thinking of you, and EVERYONE in Fairbury, Illinois(where she is from) is also keeping you in prayers !!! She is on her way to Chicago this morning with her family for the weekend, and I read the blog to her before they left this morning. The goal of running is giving EVERYONE goosebumps !! You go girl !!! Hey, Nicole Hawk, our Art teacher at Woodland, is a marathon runner !! She would probably LOVE to run with you someday !!! (right, Nicole??) I am very thankful that Molly is doing so well. Jamey, you need to get some rest now. Our Molly is on the mend now, and you need to "recoop" yourself !!! The thoughts and prayers continue each minute of the day for you both !! Many thanks to the doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, and staff who have kept our Molly going all this time !!! God's blessings on you all !!!
Maggie Copeland

Anonymous said...

Jamey and Molly,
Thanks for the early update on Molly's surgery. I have been following Molly's progress on her blog. I did not know Molly or her family, but I feel I do now, what an amazing lady. I know you and Nina from past working at Rest Haven and Heartland of Greenville.
My heartfelt blessings and speedy recovery for Molly. The power of prayer does wounderful things. May the good Lord continue to see Molly, you and your families thru your difficult time.
God Bless all of you.
Evelyn and Helen R.

Sandy said...

Dear Molly & Jamey,
This is awesome news-I'm so happy and relieved that things went as well as they did! Molly, you just keep getting stronger each day. I'm so glad you got to see your Dad, he too is in my prayers every single day (bet you remember how I am about "Daddies"). Sounds like he's being well looked after in your absence. Jamey, I hope you can get some much deserved rest over the next couple of days.
Hugs to you both,
Sandy

Jim Hill; Karen Hill said...

We are so happy to hear how well the surgery went! Our family, church family, babysitter.... etc....you name it....have been praying for you guys and will continue to do so during these trying times.

I agree with Alice Hogg....you can run through those hallways at Woodland and will get no scowls, just smiles and tears of joy. You go girl!!!! But then we may have to change your nickname from "Cindy Brady" to "the bionic woman"!!!! Watch out Maggie Copeland, we may have to put Molly in charge of Field Day!

Lots of love,
Karen Hill

kcoppess said...

Molly and Jamey-

I am so glad to hear that everything went well. I have been thinking of you and praying for you constantly. Molly - I will continue to pray for the rest, healing and strength that you need - and for Jamey and your families. Ethan still adds "and please help Mrs. French feel better" onto the end of his nightly prayer. We miss you!

God bless you both!

Love,
Krista (and Ethan) Coppess

Anonymous said...

Molly & Jamey!!
We are keeping you in our prayers!!! Now is the time to rest and heal. I'm so glad that your dad was able to make it as I'm sure he needed to see you. I know grandma was checking on him and she herself has been thinking and praying for you both. I've been keeping her up to date with the blog. Thanks again for keeping up all updated so all of us can be prayer warriors and pray for specific needs.
Amy (Light)Shellhaas

bilmn5 said...

Jamey and Molly,

We are so glad you made it through your surgery well. Keep up the good work. May God continue healing you to get you home. We love you. the Billmans

Unknown said...

Molly and Jamey,
My name is Bobbie Campbell (mother of Connie DeSchepper). I live in Columbus,Ohio and am a Pastor at First Congregational in Marysville, Ohio. My church is praying for your speedy recovery. God Bless you and your family.
Bobbie

Eli said...

I just wanted you to know, Molly and Jamey, that I have been thinking about you and praying for you constantly. You two are an inspiration to me.

Love,
Mary-Jo Morgan

Thank you, Lord, for Molly. We ask that you continue to heal her body and calm the pain. Give Jamey and the rest of the family your presence and strength. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Molly,

My heart sunk when I read that the surgery would proceed, but when I heard your comment about your goal, my spirits rose. You are such an inspiration to us all. God has a plan, which we are unable to understand. I can see a glimpse of it now, though, through you. My prayers continue for your full recovery. Jamey, bless you for being so strong and supportive through all of this(and never losing your sense of humor). Our home is always open for you.
Always praise God for His healing and all of our salvation. He is risen indeed!!
Love, Joy

Fran said...

Molly & Jamey

We are so grateful to our Dear Lord that your surgery went well and that you are resting and healing. Thank you, Jamey for getting the blog up early for so many of us who spent a sleepless night thinking and praying for you and your families.
May you be able to get some much needed rest today and have a peaceful day together on Easter.

Much love,
Fran & Chico

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamie,

In addition to you list I prayed that today would be a day of rest for both of you. The Psalmist wrote "God gives His beloved sleep."

Paul wrote, "My God shall supply all of your needs richly in Christ Jesus." I pray that verse for the both of you.

The power of prayer is so evident in the way that both of you are handling this. By being optimistic and by setting goals you are experiencing first hand the supernatural hand of God holding you up. It is a powerful thing when the Christians unite in prayer.

Thanks again for the updates. We will strive to be faithful to pray for both of you. Not only today, but in the weeks and months to come.

Steve, Nina, Jamie, Molly and Raymond have a blessed Easter!

Gary Cloyd

Anonymous said...

Jamey and Molly,

What an awesome report!! I'm sitting here with tears running because of how amazing you guys are!! I love that Molly told you she had a goal and that you thought she was cold. That goal is so awesome and I just know you and Theresa will have to sit on that porch and watch Troy and Molly run, maybe you two should just join them!!

Jamey, I did want to let you know or remind you, that my dad has a prosthesis from when his right leg was amputated over 20 years ago. He was also fortunate in that he was able to keep his knee, and he leads an absolutely normal life. I know you're going to have so much support, but he did want me to tell you and Molly that he would be more than happy to talk with her if at any point it would help, ok??

Well, hopefully you both are getting much needed rest today. Continued prayers for the specific needs, and for you, Steve, Nina and Raymond, also.

We hope to see you soon,

Dane and Kirsten

Unknown said...

Molly and Jamey,
GOALS! That's Molly! I remember her reppelling the cliffs, hiking the mountains, and braving the rapids in Tennesse a few years ago.
Molly - always courageous, a encouraging others, always pressing on! Through all of this the one who loves you the most has been and continues to be your companion. May God truly bless you all!
Mary Ann and Chip

Unknown said...

Molly & Jamie:

We have been keeping Molly and your entire family in our constant prayers. We are also asking others to pray for you.

We are happy that the surgery went so well.

All our love,

Steve, Denise & Aunt Madeline

Anonymous said...

Molly & Jamey,

I totally agree with Gary Cloyd,
Jamey and your parents, along with Raymond, need to get some much needed rest. Molly gets to feeling better, shes going to be making a list of things to do!
I remember Molly being with her cousin Bonnie alot, when Bonnie and I ran around together in school and grew up with each other. Molly you are a BEAUTIFUL young lady and very strong in faith. Jamey is a wonderful husband and doing an AWESOME job keeping everyone posted. You both are blessed with each other and the parents that you have, along with all your other family members, pets and friends. I have been so amazed of the people all over the world that is praying for all of you. GOD is AWESOME! Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you! Quick healing, and save travels!
Prayers our with you ~
Ed & Diane (Darding) Huffman

Unknown said...

Molly,
My, oh, my! What a wonderful goal you have set! I agree with Alice, Maggie, and Karen- No whistles will be blown when we see you running down the hallways at Woodland. We will be standing at our doorways cheering you on or perhaps running right beside you! YOU will be OUR inspiration.
I hope you and Jamey are getting some needed rest today, so that you can spend Easter together.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey

SO Glad to hear that all went well with Molly's surgery. Thank you so much Jamey for keeping us all up to date with her progress. We pray for you both and for GOD to give you Strength, Comfort and Love through this difficult time.

Let it now be the time for Molly to Heal.

In GOD'S Glory we pray for you both!!

Scott and Janette

Anonymous said...

hey guys its trev...mom told me about ur website and i just wanted to let u know that i am prayin for u guys

love and miss u guys

Trev

Debbie said...

Dear Molly and Jamey
M&M Grandma and grandpa send you all their love and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jamey and Molly,

We continue to be humbled with each entry we read...for your faith, strength, courage, love for each other, and for the works God is performing for you and through you.

With love and continued prayers ~
Theresa, Jay and Alyssa McKinney

Anonymous said...

Molly & Jamey,
I am so glad to hear surgery went well. I KNOW Molly will reach any goal she sets...that's just who she is. Jamey thank you for keeping us informed. It is very much appreciated. We will continue to pray for all of you.
May you and your families have a blessed and restful Easter.
God Bless,
Heather Larger

The Fisherback's said...

Jamey and Molly,

We just wanted to let you know that you both continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I have tried to write this so many times, but just couldn't get the words to come out or couldn't see the screen through my tears! We serve an Awesome God and he is just continuing to pour his love down on both of you!

Molly,

We love you very much, and we are so thankful you are a part of our family. You have touched our lives in more ways than we can count. The girls want you to know they are praying for you. Hang on to those goals that you set for yourself and lean on God to give you the strength to work on each one.

Jamey,

We love you very much and continue to lift you up in prayer. Take care of yourself and continue to encourage Molly in the way that only you can do!

We are praying for Aunt Nina, Uncle Steve and Raymond as well. We know this is hard on all of you. We love you all.
Lots of love,
Dave, Beth, Jordyn and Jenna

Krista said...

Dear Molly and Jamey,
What a relief to hear the surgery went so well. Our God continues to bless you and answer our prayers. Here's some more good news! I'm a grandma! Katie had her baby Wednesday at Good Sam. She had a 8 pound 10 ounce boy named Paxton. I'll send you a picture soon. While on the elevator at the hospital, I met a former student's mom who is an ICU nurse at Good Sam. She asked me about "my teacher" that she helped take care of! They are all reading your blog to keep up with your progress!! They continue to pray for you too! Molly, I'm so proud of you! Your spirit continues to shine and now you're setting running goals!
Praise to our God!
Love,
Krista

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey - I continue to pray for you and your families. I want to tell you that your faithfulness and devotion to God through these difficult times is moving so many people into a closer relationship with Christ. God is using you both in a very special way and I pray for you as you continue on the path of recovery. Words cannot describe what an inspiration you both are. God Bless You! Rachelle Downing