Thursday, April 3, 2008

THURSDAY MORNING

Good Morning Friends - Remember to help your friends, families, neighbors, and stranger to understand what Molly is facing and has faced, send them to www.mfrenchtrek.blogspot.com And feel free to email us direct at jameyandmolly@gmail.com Tuesday and Wednesday were great days. Molly continues gain strength and improve in every aspect. The doctors said yesterday that her skin grafts continue to look great as do her stumps. He said he would think that they could graft her stumps next week, not for sure, but very likely. If this is the case, this could very well be Molly's last surgery. YEAH!!!! As I left on Tuesday night, one of the Chief Residents (one who typically quite and does not show a lot of emotion, more business like, yet extremely nice and likable, just not as "social" as some of the others) said to me as I was leaving that "Your wife is doing great, we are so happy for you and her. She has become the star patient on the unit, we all like you and her a lot and can't wait for her to get out of here, but will miss you both when she does." That kind of stuff from the staff means so much. Yesterday, we got to go outside again, but this time in a wheelchair so we were much more mobile and got to see some of the hospital. It was just her and I. It was beautiful out yesterday, but quite cold, so we did not stay out too long, but got to get a little sun. Molly said "its cold, but it feels so good." As we were leaving the unit, it was like a reception line with much of the staff lining up to say hi, tell her how great it wass to see her up in the chair, told us to remember to come back, etc. Again, this place keeps amazing me each and everry day with not only their medical care and capabilities, but their "team" approach to everything and the deep genuine care and concern about their patients and the patient's family. I can't begin to tell you how many times a staff member (even those that have not really taken direct care of Molly) have asked me if I needed anything, if I was doing ok, if I was eating and getting rest, etc. As you enter the main entrance to the hospital there are several very large banners with pictures of doctors, nurses, patients, etc. with short "marketing" type mesages on them. But in the middle of these is one with no pictures and simply says, "Our triumphs do not come from research alone, Or from the hands of a single doctor, but from the rewards as a result of working together." This is more than a few words on a banner here, Molly and I have truly seen this in action, it it makes a huge difference in the way medical care is delivered. They do not just talk about "team" here, they truly live it. Now, don't gete worried, this new found respect for U of M only goes as far as their medicine. However, I must say that I may feel a little guilty rooting against Michigan come this fall . . . . but only for the first minute of the game! Go Bucks! O - H Back to Molly. She continues to eat a little at each meal, not a lot but some. She says the food is pretty good, but I question that as she said the fruit cocktail they gave her during the swallowing study was coated in barium to help it show up in the x-rays, and she said that tasted good. I guess we need to pray for her tastebuds to wake up too. Other great news yesterday is that her voice is starting to come back a little. It is still very hoarse and she has to strain a bit to get it out, but it is there. She still continues to whisper a lot because it takes considerable effort to gete her voice, but the good news is that it is back a little and with each new day, it should get stronger and stronger until I am sure I will be wishing it was gone again. LOL! We did a lot of exercises with her arms and hands yesterday and she did great. She and the therapist set some short term goals for the end of the week and we are working towards these goals. Since the therapist cannot be there all day, she basically sees how Molly is progressing, and then adds a few new exercises and lets her and I work on them throughout the day. Last night I went to Einstien Brothers Bagels (a bagel / coffee shop here in the hospital) and got a frozen strawberry smoothie, and split it with Molly. These things are wonderful and Molly really enjoyed it as did I. Today she will receive dialysis, get dressing changes and then hopefully later today if she is not too tired from the dialysis we can go for another stroll outside and througout the hospital. This is great for her spirits and mine, and helping her build up her strength. For those of you wanting to come visit, please contact me first, as Molly is really looking forward to visits and wants to be able to enjoy them, but if she has dialysis or some other procedure it really wears her out and she is unable to enjoy the visits. So, please call me or email me first so i can let you know what is scheduled, etc. Also, do not want to overwhelm her or the staff with too many visitors at one time. Just so you know, she gets dialysis on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. SPECIFIC PRAYER AREAS
  • Continued healing of her wounds
  • Return of normal function of her kidneys
  • Overall physical strength
  • Voice to return to normal (this one may come with conditions :) )
  • Hands, arms and fingers to return to normal function soon
  • Spirits for her and I
  • Clarity to help us know how to help others

Thanks again for all the prayer and thoughts, you will never know how much it means to us.

Keep praying each day, not only for us, but for the many families struggling with similar and worse things than we are. Pray that they know peace and have no fear as they face their struggles.

God Bless each of you,

Love,

Jamey & Molly

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Dear Molly & Jamey,
I couldn't be happier reading today's blog entry. I'm so thankful that things are going so well and that you are getting to enjoy so many "firsts" after such a long difficult struggle. I read your comments about the hospital staff and it seemed like "deja vu" to me , brought a smile to my face as well as a tear to my eye!!
Keep getting stronger, enjoy your eating and I'll pray that you get out to see some sunshine today.
Love,
Sandy

The Hillearys said...

Dear Molly, Jamey and families,
Thank you for writing this wonderful blog so we can keep up with Molly's progress. We are so happy that she is doing so well. Molly is so very special to us and especially to Maddie, as a beloved teacher and friend. We will continue to send our positive thoughts and prayers out to you and will stay in touch.
Our love to you all,
The Hillearys
Matt, Wendy, Maddie, Claire & Sophie

Anonymous said...

Jamie and Molly,

Continued prayers from our direction. A smoothie beats a Pepsi any day! Continue to do battle with God's help for a full recovery to what your new normal is going to be.

Always remember God's goodness and provision for the two of you - even though some of our prayers weren't answered in the way we would have chosen. My prayer continues to be that you will be closer to God and to each other as a result of this trial that you have had to journey through.

Have a great day with each other and with the God who loves you both.

Gary Cloyd

Lana said...

Dear "Team French" - Your teamwork too amazes me and I am thrilled to hear Molly is gaining strength. We think of you often and it sounds as if the tide is starting to turn your way! Tell Molly to "keep her chin up" (as one of our old instructors used to say) and each day will be brighter.

Sending lots of love from the Hoosier State - Lana

Anonymous said...

Jamey and Molly,

"I-O"

What wonderfull answers to prayer!
We too, pray that through all of this, the two fo you will grow closer together and most of all, closer to Him.

Please!! Don't let this love fest with "that state up north" go to far.

Love to you both,
Chris and Vickie Hicks

Anonymous said...

Yeah Molly! Jamey - thanks for all of the updates.

I am so happy to hear that you are getting mobile. You are both so strong and wonderful to face these challenges with such grace and spirit. You inspire me, and so many others...


Love,
Debby, Adam, Jordan and Alec

Anonymous said...

Dear Molly & Jamey

I am so glad that you got to go out and take a walk together.. I am sure as the weather gets warmer it will be even nicer getting outside for those walks.
I am so happy about all the great care my little sis is getting. It is so easy to love you Molly that I can understand why so many people in the Hospital care about you. Your doing great ..
Today I was over at your dad's and he said tell Molly I have some work for her to do . SO, get well fast so you can come home.. He misses you..
All the prayers just keep coming in.. God has been so good to you both and has shown you His handy work through the Dr's and Molly progress.
The Fantastic First Graders did a great job tonight!!!!!!
We all miss and Love YOU!!!!

Michelle and Family

Sharon H. said...

Jamie & Molly,
I continue to be amazed with your progress and the medical team. While reading the blog today, I cried and then I laughed. You are doing an excellent job writing and it's so nice to hear the 'good' news. Thanks for taking the time to do what you're doing for all of us who are concerned.
Sharon H.-TM

Deanna said...

Hey Molly & Jamey!

I just know God will use your experience to help so many people. It is so exciting to think about the difference you two will make!

We are so thankful that Molly is getting better and able to talk to you! Someone has to put you in your place!!! :)

Love you both,
De, Joe & Kids

P.S. I-O