Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TUESDAY EVENING - AFTER THE SWALLOW STUDY

Molly aced the test today. That is the good news, the bad news is that it after 5pm and we have not been able to get any food for her yet. As a way to better manage her intense schedule of "things" that have to be done each day, as well as not wiping her out completly on the days she has "wound rounds" and dialysis, it was decided to mover her dialysis days to tues, thur, sat. Becuase of this she needed to have dialysis again today to start the new schedule. Also, she had some physical therapy today and on top of all that, she went outside on the gurney they used to transport her to the swallow study. We were outside for about 10-15 minutes. She got cold, but said it felt great. With all this and the need to still do her dressing changes (which requires sedation, and therefore can not eat or drink for 4-6 hours prior) she has not been able to eat as of yet. However, while I am typing this she is getting her dressings changed and once she is un-sedated (not sure if that is a real word or even a medical procedure) she will be able to get her something to eat. She will be on a level 3 diet. Regular, eat anything you want when you want diet is a level 4 diet. This is a little softer, easier to digest diet to get her started. since she has not eaten in over 4 weeks they want to start slowly. Also, chewing can be tiring when you haven't done it in a while so they do not want her to get tired chewing and then not be able to swallow. After a week or two she should be on a regular level 4 diet. Dialysis went well today, they ran for 3 hours and took off 1/2 liter of fluid. She did great and did not get light-headed or dizzy at all. It did as normal tire her a bit, but not like in the past. This shows she is getting stronger and able to tolerate these procedures better. Also, her kidneys are still showing signs of improvement as they are producing about 1/4 of volume that normal healthy kidneys produce (thus the need to continue dialysis). But it is a positive sign and hopefully in a couple of weeks she will not need dialysis anymore. So, hopefully after today, she will get normal dressing changes daily with mon, wed, and fri. being "wound round" day where the surgeons come in while the dressings are down to take a look at them. This can take a while as the surgeons have lots a patients, surgery, office hours, regular rounds, interns, residents, med students, and I would imaging a private social life. Once the nurses take the dressings down and get them cleaned, they leave the wounds uncovered until the surgeons come for alook. Usually within an hour or so, but depending on other things like emergencies, etc, can be several hours. Thus the reason I suggested changing the dialysis schedule. Plus, until the docs have seen her wounds, hey keep her pretty heavily medicated. The only other thing going on besides the normal dressing changes will be the dialysis. Terry the Occupational Therapist was in today and gave us a bunch of exercises to do and rigged up some therabands for Molly to start using so when she goes to acute rehab her upper body will be ahead of the game. Also, we really want to get Molly's hands and fingers working well so she can start to do a lot of the daily things for herself so she can start to feel normal again. This will be a HUGE moral booster for her. That way she can hold a book to read, write, brush her hair, which will have to make her happy since it wont be me doing it anymore. For those of you who know me, hair care is not a to priority for me since I do not have much to take care of. Trusting me with her hair is like trusting a skinny chef. Here is the "big picture" as Molly and I see it right now. The only things she needs is the feeding tube, daily dressing changes, and dialysis 3 times per week. She will continue on the feeding until she is able to eat enough with high calorie suppliment shakes to equal the amount of calories she is getting with the feeding tube. We expect this to happen in about 1-2 weeks. Within a week or two she will get grafted for her stumps and then will have to be in bed with limited movement for 3-5 days. then after 10 days to 2 weeks she will start in the acute rehab. Until that point she will be getting out of bed regularly if not daily. Continue exercising her arms, hands, fingers and upper body. Eat, eat, and eat some more with lots of snacks, shakes and ice cream (this of course really upsets her, lol). So for the next few weeks, we are in a "more of the same" mode until her wounds and grafts heal to the point of starting rehab. Lasty, regarding Moll's recovery. She is now officially on "Floor Status" which means that she is off the monitor, and they only check her blood work and blood sugar ever 4-6 hours. She will be able to rest better at night since she will not be interupted as often. This is a very physical sign that she is making great progress. Molly and I continue to talk regularly about what we are being called to do with this experience. While we do not have a crystal clear picture of that calling yet, we are sure that we are being called to help others. Your prayers in this area are important to us as the prayers for Molly's healing are. SPECIFIC THINGS TO PRAY FOR
  • Voice to return
  • Kidney function to return fully
  • wounds to continue to heal
  • stumps to continue to heal and be ready for grafting
  • Strengthening of upper body, arms, hands and fingers
  • Returned function of hands (especially the right hand)
  • Able to tolerate diet and switch to regular diet soon and remove feeding tube
  • Keep her spirits high. While all this good news are great signs of progress, it does bring us that much closer to the need to start using her muscles more and will be a very obvious indication to her how weak and sick her body is/was. Also, as she moves around more and more will be a more constant reminder of her legs, so high spirits will be a high priority from this point forward.
  • Travel safety for the many friends and family making the trek to Wolverine country.
  • Clarity for Molly and I as we continue on this new journey together and what we are supposed to do with this experience.

Thank again for all the prayers, thoughts, cards (she only received a 2 inch stack yesterday) and messages.

God Bless you all,

Love,

Jamey & Molly

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!
WOW ALL of this is such great news. GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!
Molly you are such an awesome lady and God is blessing you in so many ways. I am so glad you aced the Test. Only a teacher like you would get A's .. You are a Honor Teacher and Friend..
I can't wait to see you again..Even got to go outside. How cool is that.. ???
Jamey.. I love it when you put a little laugh in there.. It shows you guys have good spirits about everything. God will give you the answers that HE wants you to do.. We have to do it all for His Glory and His Kingdom.

Love ya ,
Michelle and family

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord! I'm so excited that the swallowing test went well. Here I am trying to cut out extra calories and you get to eat shakes and malts, etc. !!!!! You go girl. I'm so proud of you. Thinking of you all the time. I know you must miss your 1st grade hugs. I had a lot at school today and I treasure each and every one. They make my day. We'll keep praying for you and Jamey every day.
Love you lots,
Nancy D

donna eberwein said...

Molly, Bill and I read these each day and I keep checking in case there is more. We are so glad you are progressing as is all of my family. To me, you are another daughter. I've loved you since you were very small. Keep up the good work as I know you will. You are in all our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey,
Read the blog for today. What awesome newes.
Glad the swallowing eval went well.
Got to go outside, how "cool", no pun intended.
You two are amazing. Continued prayers for all concerns. Keep up the good work Molly for God is behind you.
God bless you all
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Molly
My thoughts and prayers will continue on during this journey.Perseverance and determination will bring you through. Much love and care
Steve and Jessica Foureman Key West

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are amazing Molly. When you get home lets go get us a coffee at Joe's coffee house, okay, I know one of those sounds good right now!!!

Thank you for being the person you are. You sure are a strong person. I admire you more and more each and every day.

Keep up the good work! We continue to think of you and pray for you each day!!!!!

God Bless you both.

Jodi Besecker and family

Unknown said...

Molly and Jamey,
Sooooooo many positives!!!!We have been totally amazed with the constant progress! God has held you in His hands through it all. He will make his purpose clear in time. Praying daily for the listed needs.
Love, Chip and Mary Ann

Fran said...

Molly and Jamey,
What a great day! All these good things happening. I am praying for you both to discover what God wants you to do with this experience. In my heart, I know that you will make Him so proud. I can only imagine how proud He is of both of you with what you have done so far! Keep the faith, He will speak to you soon, I'm sure!
Love,
Fran

Krista said...

Wow! It brought tears to my eyes to read the kidneys are starting to wake up! Praise be to God! And now you get to eat! So good!
Last Friday I had to take Ginger to ER and while I'm waiting in the waiting room, I picked up the hospital news/magazine. There is this article about a $1.2 million toilet and it's by Jamey French! Now I know why your blogs are so well written! Maybe you need to write a book, Jamey! I guess we'll have to see how far to the moon Molly takes you! I'm so proud of you Molly and I can't wait to come see you!
Love you!
Krista

Sandy said...

What a wonderful exciting day!! You got to go outside, you're going to get to eat and almost be allowed to sleep through the nights. God has been hearing all of us and He is answering in His own time. He'll make the way clear to the two of you when He is ready. We all have much to be thankful for.
Major hugs,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Molly & Jamey,
I taught with Molly a couple of years ago - and just heard of all of this. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
-Mandy (Winner) Albers
Minster, OH

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey,

I taught with Molly at Nicklin and just heard about this yesterday. I am sorry it takes something like this for me to keep in touch. Just know that I haven't stopped thinking of you since I heard about this. I am inspired by both of you and your love for eachother.

In My Prayers,

Randi Uhl

Unknown said...

Dear Molly and Jamey,
As I read your daily updates, I am in awe. The progress you have made is anwesome. God has truly been working in both of your lives. You are in my prayers daily. Continue to stay strong and keep your spirits up. You will truly have a wonderful testimony to others. With God all things are possible.(Matthew 19:26)

Love and Prayers,
Kathy and family

Anonymous said...

Way to go Molly!!!

Christy Winans

Anonymous said...

Jamey and Molly,
I've never met you two, but I've heard all about you and your fight with this disease. I must say you have an inspirational story to tell a lot of people when you are fully recovered (actually you've been telling it already through your blog :-) ). All of us here at First United Methodist Greenville have kept you in our prayers all these weeks, and will continue to do so. I hope to meet you someday. Let's schedule a time when you two can be our guests during worship to share your testimony. You certainly have one to share, and it would be an inspiration to hear you. God bless, Pastor Joe Payne

Anonymous said...

Jamey,
We just heard the news from fellow Toastmasters in District 28 - be assured of our prayers for you and Molly. I (Mary) work for the Capuchins, the religious order at St. Bonaventure Monastery in Detroit. I have put you and your family on the Prayer List so all the monks are praying for you twice a day at Morning and Evening Prayer. In the words of Fr. Solanus Casey: "May God bless you and multiply His graces and joys in your soul." Blessings and peace to both of you from Mike & Mary Comfort

Deb Green said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! What great news. It sounds like you have made a huge leap forward. I know you will be back in Buckeye Country soon! We will keep our prayers focused and you will continue to make the great gains that you have made and more. Tomorrow night is our "musical." All of our kids have worked very hard. They will be shinning stars. Know that you are continuously in our hearts and on our minds! We miss you,
Love,
Deb G.

Toni Henninger said...

What wonderful news! It is certainly no big shock to us that everyone loves you guys! As I said I knew from the first moment I met Molly I knew she was special! God's plan is not always clear, sometimes the road seems crooked and winding, but He will direct you. Zach wants Molly to know he has streph throat to, but he went to the dr. and got medicine so not to worry about him. If one thing this has done, it ceertainly has gotten the body of believers around here praying together! Everywhere I go the subject of your journey gets brought up. SO MANY people are praying for you both! Keep it up Molly- you are wonder woman!

Love, brad, Toni, Rachel, LLiam and Zach Henninger

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly and Jayme,

I am so happy to hear good news again on your recovery. It was nice to see that you got to go outside today even if for a few minutes I am sure that felt wonderful.

Molly I know you have such a long road ahead but with all of your friends, family and faith I have no doubt you will come out stonger and wiser than ever before. You both have amazed me and everyone that has read this blog.

Molly keep up the good work! And Jamey keep your sense of humor intact! You are both an inspiration to us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending you love and light,

Sheri (Bettinger) Bryant

Anonymous said...

WOW God's blessings have come to you once agin. Great day! Arestotle once said "Hope is a waking dream."
Mizpah Bubba & Bonnie;-}}>