Thursday, April 10, 2008

THURSDAY MORNING

I don't even know where to start, Molly had what I beleive to be her best day yet. She felt good, looked good, and everything about her day was awesome! I got to the hospital around 10am yesterday and the first thing I noticed was her feeding tube was removed! YEAH!!! But before we all get to excited, late last nigth around 11pm they did decide that the tube did need to go back in. After reviewing her calorie intake the best decision was to insert the tube again. Molly ate great, but there is no way she can eat enough to get the 3,500 - 5,000 calories per day they would like her to eat to aid in the healing of her wounds, stumps and skin. So, until her calorie count does not need to be as high, and she can start eating more and supplementing it with "power" shakes etc, the tube will need to remain. We talked about it and she understands and is truly OK with it, it is a little frustrating and I can't even imagine how annoying it has to be to her, but I know she will get along fine with it. Her and I talked and her/our goal is to get it back out by this time next week. Again, I can't imagine what it is like, I can't even brush my teeth without gagging myself. Molly's dressing changes took longer yesterday than normal because they put suction vac's on her stumps. These are rough sponges placed on each stump and then wrapped in what looks like seran wrap and attached to a pump that provides suction. These then slowly "scrub" the ends of her stumps and suctions away any fluid, dead skin, etc. from her stumps. they also help to "form" the stump. These are a little painful so her pain meds have been increased slightly. They are painful because of the suction being constant, and it is a little like having a brilo pad constantly rubbed against an open sore. I know, I grimmaced as I wrote it, but that is what it is like, and she said that once they are in place they are not too bad. I got to see her wounds and stumps yesterday while they were down and in my "vast medical opinion" they looked great. So much in fact the the right leg, besides the stump, is now just getting cocoa butter cream (with lots of healthy other stuff like vitamin E, etc) without any dressings. So no more sticky yellow cloth patches, wrapped tightly in steril guaze, etc. The left leg is probably not far behind to start receiving the same care. My guess is within a few days, the only care with dressings will be her stumps, and the surgeon said that they could possibly do graft on them as early as this Friday. If not, they will vac her stumps over the weekend and take a look at them on Monday. Jerry (Mollys uncle), Karen (Molly's cousin) & Olivia (Karen's daughter) came for a visit yesterday and it was a great visit, Molly was so glad to see them as was I. They got here at a perfect time, as the dressing changes were over, Molly's sedation had been removed and subsided, she had eaten, gotten up in the chair and was ready to just sit and visit without any interuptions. It was great for them to see her this way (the last time they saw her she was still in the SICU) as she does not remember their last visit. It was great for her as well as she could truly enjoy their visit. Now on to what is in my opinion the biggest news of the day, Molly may disagree, but really when you stop to think about it, this is much more important than anything else. She got another huge stack of cards, but did not feel like opening them right away, so me being nosey I looked at the return addresses to at least see who they were from. One was from the Woody Hayes Football Center in Columbus, Ohio. I made her open that one. It was a very short, but very nice post card stating that they had heard of a fellow Buckeye facing challenge and wished her the best and a quick return to the Buckeye State. Signed by the head Buckey himself, Coach Jim Tressel. Now, what I find to be the truly amazing part is that it actually made it to Molly and did not mysteriously get lost in the mail room. So, we are not sure how Coach got the news about Molly, but thank you to whoever out there that made it possible. I know Molly appreciated it, but it REALLY lifted my spirits. GO BUCKS! As I stop to think about the enormous amount of cards, comments and email we recieve, (my appologies for not answering all our email) and all the connections out there, like the one above, but also with the New England Patriots, NASCAR, Buckeyes, and a lot of other professional sports, possibly with folks like Oprah, and other personalities and just as important the millions of people around the world that are now aware of Molly's journey. With this kind of support and publicity there is no doubt in my mind as well as Molly's that truly millions of dollars can be raised so we can bring education and awareness to the public and hopefully the health care world about the importance of taking an active role in your own health care, especially since a 10 minute test that costs very very little can make a huge difference. Molly and I continue to struggle with "why" this has happened, especially when it could have been so easily prevented, but we also get excited when we think about the possibilities out there and how we have been given an opportuinty to help so many people. SPECIFIC PRAYER NEEDS
  • Kidneys still, they are coming around, but not quite there yet
  • Skin and wound healing. Getting closer by the day, but still a ways to go
  • Feeding tube to be removed, once the wounds heal she will not require as many calories, as well as as her appeite comes back she can eat more (hopefully very very soon)
  • Voice, getting stronger, just not quite there yet
  • Spirits (hers and mine)
  • Travel for family and friends & me (going home this weekend, I have to do taxes, Uncle Sam still needs his payday I guess)
  • Raymond ( Molly's dad) Keep his spirits up as well
  • Paula and Bennie (Molly's cousins) each of them facing some possible health issues

God Bless you all, you are all such a comfort and blessing to Molly and I. Thanks for all you have done and continue to do.

Love,

Jamey & Molly.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Molly & Jamey,
What a wonderful day you had yesterday. I hope there are many more to follow in the very near future. A grand day like that makes those that are a bit harder alittle easier to take. Just think of all the many people that don't even know you and have grown to love you through this journey. You have touched countless people and helped to educate so many.
Hang in there,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Molly, and Jamey,
I'm tahnkful you are having 'good' days to enjoy. But then, even the 'bad' days you have found the positive.
Molly- I'm praying for your journey to come. Many children that I know, including both my girls have had strep throat since you have been in the hospital. No doubt because of you there have been children tested that might have not otherwise been. I'm sorry that you get to be the example of what happens when illness is not taken seriously and delt with quickly. I am thankful for your spirit and your determination to use this as a way to reach out and make sure we all pay closer attention to our health. No doubt you will continue to be the wonderful educator you are, and reach people in ways that only your kind, nuturing, personality can.
God Bless you both.
-Kelly Tanner

donna eberwein said...

Just to let you know, the vac machine works wonders. Bill had one when the had his last surgery for a clogged artery in his leg. We were amazed how quickly this healed. You are both doing great from the sounds of it. Thank goodness your doctor and friends saw that you got to Ann Arbor! You are so loved! Your positive attitude has helped, I'm sure. Keep it up in spite of the hard days yet to come. They seem to be getting fewer and fewer. Hopefully they will end soon. God will see you through. Remember FROG- forever rely on god!

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey,
Glad you had a great day yesterday. Keep up the great progress. I's sure each day will take you both into new ventures. Molly, keep up the good spirits. Along with Jamey's help that shoulden't be too hard.
Have a good day.
God Bless You Both
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Molly and Jamey,

How cool is that to hear from Jim? That is awesome that someone would think of Molly to have done that to lift your spirits.
I think it awesome if you can make something happen to help other be more aware of strep.
I am so proud of the great things that you are working on. Just remember to keep God in all this and it will blossom in to something beautiful.
I am sure Rascal and Braven will be happy to see you Jamey.
Tell Molly I love her and she is donig great and we are happy she is coming a long so good.
Love,
Michelle and family

Unknown said...

Dearest Molly and Jamey
It is so true, that song that says, "What a difference a day makes!" I treasure the times we've spent together in the past and can't wait to see you again to share laughs and talk about "our kids" at school. I tested some preschoolers today and what little sponges that soak up all we say and do. Thanks for being such a wonderful teacher all these years. I only wish my boys could have had you for a teacher. Spaghetti dinner at the JVS for Matt tonight. Another big step in his life. I'm praying for you and all the "big steps" you're facing.
Love you lots,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Molly,
I just got to thinking that right before you got sick, we just had "Sick Day" in your class. I thought it was such an awesome learning experience for the kids. I can only imagine the impact you will have during "Sick Days" in the future. And how your "Sick Day" teaching has now gone so very far beyond your little classroom at Woodland.
Thank You for being such a wonderful and powerful educator !!!!
Dawn Nicholas
P.S. Mariah says Hi Mrs. French, I Love You !!!!