Saturday, May 3, 2008

AFTER THE BIG DAY OUT

Whew, what a day! After gaining clearance from the nurse around 12:30, we headed for McDonald's. Yes the cheeseburger was yummy and the fries too. But anything would taste good after two months of "Potato Encrusted Cod, Meat Lasagna, and Chicken Cesar Wrap" which are on the menu every single day, day in and day out, never changing, always the same. It is hard to believe, they can change the whole medical staff each month as they change clinical services in the 14th best hospital in the country with over 859 discharges per day and over 11 miles of hallways, but they cant change the stinkin' menu!!! I can't wait to come home and get more Maid-rites, Jim's hotdogs and just a good steak on the grill. Speaking of coming home, we are within two weeks for sure if not sooner. I am scheduled for my skin graft surgery this coming Tuesday. We are not sure exactly what will happen after the surgery as far as what unit, how long for recovery, additional rehab, etc. We should know more on Monday. After the McDonald's meal we drove around Ann Arbor wandering what to do. At one point Jamey suggested going back to the hospital early, yeah right, I don't know who he thought he was kidding, the nurse said we had until 5pm, and by golly we were going to use every minute of it! so, we decided to head to Cabela's in Dundee which is about 15 miles south. Cabela's is a HUGE, GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS hunting and outdoor store, with an indoor aquarium, boats, fishing and hunting equipment with indoor ranges, furniture, restaurant, etc., etc., etc., even if you are not into hunting and fishing, definitely a place to visit. they have mounted animals and fish all over the place with a huge mountain and water fall with stuffed animals all over it. with all this stuff to choose from we bought licorice. Yummy! We arrived back at the Hospital about 10 minutes late because Jamey got lost. I take that back, he is never lost, he just doesn't always know exactly where he is (so he says!). Our nurse said she would excuse us and we aren't grounded so we can go out again tomorrow. Now that I have filled my McDonalds craving, I am not sure what I am looking forward to eat. I was just happy getting off the hospital grounds into the real world. Once back in the room, Jamey became a mechanic and tried to McGyver my wheelchair to keep my legs more elevated. He had my nurse running around looking for allen wrenches, supports, and other stuff, but he got it done. Then to my surprise the Fourman family walked in unexpectedly all donning Michigan colors. (They are a family I have grown to know and love from my days at South School) They made a great day even better. They were in town as they are huge Michigan fans and came up to see the first baseball game played in U of M's new baseball stadium, and it was against the Buckeyes. anyway, it was great to see them and be a nice ending to a fun day. PRAYER NEEDS
  • Hand and Fingers! They are slowly getting better, but a ways to go yet to get total function and feeling back in them
  • Wounds! continued healing of legs and stumps
  • Stumps! Healing of course, but also strengthening, reduced contractures, and shaping needed to get a good fit for new legs.
  • SURGERY! Successful, quick, and safe skin graft on Tuesday. (We will update on Monday evening or when we know a more definite time)
  • Spirits! They are good and we are thankful, however, we still have a lot of bridges to cross and challenges to face, so continue to pray for Jamey and Ito remain positive as we continue on our journey
  • Safe Travels! for Jamey as he travels to and from the hospital and friend and family as they make visits.

God Bless You All for your continued prayers and thoughts, we could never had made it this far with out you, and will not be able to make it further without each and every one of you. You are all very special and dear to us both! Thank You!

Love,

Molly and Jamey

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great step in the right direction, except for your cholestoral count. But hey, you have earned it. We continue to pray for you both. Sounds like home isn't far off. Enjoy your day tomorrow.

The Cloyd's

Anonymous said...

Molly, You two are the greatest! I had to laugh reading about your outing!!! How exciting! I doubt you would remember me! You were young and coming to E.U.M. Church with your mom and dad! I'm Ruth Ann Lockhart, 3 sons, Dave, Mark and Jeff! Look forward to your coming back home! Blessings to you both and we'll keep PRAYING! It works! Love, Ruth Ann

Anonymous said...

Molly,

Good for you. You got to have a fun day. I am so glad you got to get out and do something. I love that place it is fun. We stopped there on our way back home when we were last there. We got some really nice pictures.
You guess will have to let me know if you get to come home earlier.I haven't started packing yet.
I am praying that your surgery goes well I know it will.

Love and Miss you,
Michelle and Zach

Sandy said...

Molly & Jamey,
Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm so happy for you both. I leave first thing in the morning (don't know how I'll stand being out of touch with your latest news & progress), but I'll keep good thoughts and keep on praying throughout my own journey. Bet you'll be home before I am. Take good care - love to you both.
Sandy

Fran said...

I will be praying hard for you on Tuesday. For comic relief on Tuesday, picutre me in a ladybug costume on stage at the Piqua Jr. High auditorium, singing "Be a Lady" in the Nicklin Kindergarten production of "Bug Fest". At least MaryJo doesn't make me be the chicken anymore. I am moving up in the Kindergarten world!! I see you smiling as you read this and you don't know how happy I am to be able to speak to you.

Love you,
Fran

Anonymous said...

Molly & Jamey, We are praying that you'll have another enjoyable day out!!!!! The girls thought it was great that you guys went to Cabellas, they love going there!! Tyeal was praying for you last night,that you and Jamey would just be filled with happiness!!!!!!! May your Spirits stay high!! And may Gods Love and Joy, fill your hearts to over flowing!!!!!! And may there be many exciting days ahead!!! Be Blessed!!!!! MUCH LOVE AND PRAYERS! The Bookers: Holli Tyeal Jordan & Kennedy

donna eberwein said...

Hey Molly- what a great person you are! I am so very glad that you were able to explore the outside a bit. Pizza person person that I am, I still enjoy the other unhealthy foods at times! We love you Molly. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Molly,
It is so exciting to read of your wonderful progress!! The outing Saturday sounds like fun and you both have definately earned some fun! You are both in our prayers each and every day and we can't wait until you are home again.
We miss you!!!
Melissa J.